Wednesday, May 10, 2006

More on what Judaism is...

I currently am a member of a Reform synagogue, the Temple of Universal Judaism. While I am not 100% satisfied with everything that happens there (in fact, one of the things I like about TUJ and Reform Judaism as a whole is the right to disagree), I have gotten several quality nuggets out of my interactions there. Over the past few weeks, a few in particular seemed interesting enough to share:

1. Is Judaism about social action? Certainly, Jews are often active in effecting social change - they instituted successful screening for hereditary diseases (e.g. Tay-Sachs), they fight racism and genocide around the world (e.g. Darfur, Sudan), many advocate peace in the Middle East, and Jews are generally a cohesive and powerful political force. But is this what Judaism is all about? I leave this discussion open for now, as I'm not sure - certainly we are obligated to help heal the world (tikkun olam), but I worry about making this a central element of Jewish practice for fear of losing sight of the major guiding ethics and principles.

2. Is Judaism about the environment? Sure, we need to save our planet, especially since for the time being it's the only one we have. However, again, I wonder if this is central to what Judaism is all about, or just one of the many things for which we as a people have chosen to fight, rightly so.

3. Is Judaism about money, guilt, or food? Well, those certainly seem to be popular themes, but I think I can reject these outright in terms of centrality. I just wish my parents would understand that - I seem to daily have to explain why I'm not making money as a future doctor, why I don't visit more often, and why I don't need any more food sent to store in my undersized kitchen.

Sidebar: Maybe Judaism is about the environment AND food? Check out this, forwarded to me by the Rabbi at TUJ.

4. Is Judaism about who looks the best, throws the best parties, etc.? I think this relates directly to 3 and I need not say much more.

5. Is Judaism all about the Bible? Well, certainly the Bible is an important source of inspiration and guidance, but is that the only way to know God, and for that matter is knowing God the only thing that matters about being Jewish? Certainly not, given that we have Talmud and many other sources, and that agnostic Jews are still considered Jewish?

6. Is Judaism about Community? I think this is what it IS all about. As I've said before, being part of something that is called Judaism is what makes us Jewish. However that may be defined, be it saving Darfur, not eating meat, or studying the Bible, it's all Judaism, and what matters is being a part of it. Some say that God is simply the manifestation of a collective human consciousness. If that's so, then the more of us that come together, the more of God that is present.

I would love to hear what others think about all this. I am open to changing my mind, to discussing any of my points, or simply to hearing similar debates. Please, engage me, as that's what community is all about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google