Friday, November 17, 2006

Obstacles

"Don't forget your second wind. Sooner or later you'll feel that momentum kick in." - Billy Joel, You're Only Human (Second Wind)
Can religion, spirituality, faith, or God help us when times are hard? I think those that read this blog would certainly say yes, but how? Knowing that it will all be okay or is part of the grand scheme doesn't solve today's problems. Besides, I am a firm believer that God helps those who help themselves. So what do you do when you hit obstacle after obstacle, failure and failure, and the solution seems beyond your grasp? How can faith help you to make it to the next day?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Jeffrey Cohen said...

When I have an obstacle and pray to God, I mostly pray for the strength to overcome the obstacle and the wisdom to see the best path. Although I do believe in God, what I am really doing is reaching into my inner self for that strength and wisdom. Answers prayers with miracles, but I do think that God helps us find that inner strength and wisdom. Your comment about how God helps those who helps themselves reminds me of a joke that a rabbi once told in a sermon:

Jacob was a very poor man and struggled to support his family. He prayed to God to let him win the lottery. "God," he prayed, "just let me win the lottery so that I can feed my family." A week went by and he didn't win the lottery, so he prayed again. "God, it's not for me, it's for my family. Just let me win the lottery for them." Another week went by and he still didn't win. "God," he prayed, "please let win so that my family can eat." Then a voice boomed down from Heaven. "Jacob," it said, "Give me a break. Buy a ticket!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google