Sunday, May 21, 2006

Discuss amongst yourselves...

I'd like to mention two topics that came up in the past few days that I thought y'all might want to discuss. As for use of "y'all," I invoke my 25% Southern background and attendance at a Hee Haw last night.

First, what defines Jewish community? This seems to come up a lot on this blog, being it's central topic, but a recent hot debate is very central to the current discussion. I feel I like this article from Aish.com covers the topic well - a debate has been sparked as to whether the key to Judaism is Israel, Jewish observance, or what - as I've said, I feel it's BEING Jewish, as defined by the Jewish community with which we associate.

The next question I pose in today's post is whether social action at all costs is properly Jewish? It seems that Jews very eagerly take up causes: civil rights, humanitarian aid (e.g. Darfur), etc. However, is this the best way to help others, and for that matter, is the help even welcome? If you doubt that this is how Jews are perceived, I refer you to Sheila Broflovski. I personally subscribe to what a colleage once referred to as the "pigeon model": hold out the grain, and let them come to you. When people want our help, we simply need to be sure they know it's available. The rabbis teach us that tzedakah, Hebrew for righteousness, although often translated as "charity," is best given anonymously on both sides, e.g. by leaving a collection box outside your home that people can donate to and/or take from as they need. There's extensive materials to this end, so I refer you to Talmud and Maimonides (a.k.a. Rambam, RMBM, Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon) for more.

That's two heavy topics for y'all to mull over. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google